AKSamba is an innovative world percussion band based in Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand. Our musical style is a fusion of hot Brazilian rhythms (such as samba, samba-reggae, coco, baião) with drum & bass, hip-hop and other dance influences. The band was founded in 2002 and performs with up to 40 members. We aim to create an unusual, extraordinary, awesome musical experience!
We regularly perform at a variety of events – see the Gigs page for upcoming performances. Here is just a sampling of our past gigs:
- Festivals: SoundSplash, Jambalaya, Prana, HoneyJam, Fire & Ice Festival, Hastings Blossom Festival, Illume Coromandel Winter Festival, Rice & Beans Festival, International Cultural Festival
- Corporate and media events: L’Oreal Hair & Fashion Awards, Cathay Pacific’s Big Bash, Sol Beer’s Brand Launch series, Windows 7 launch, The X Factor NZ, TV3’s Dream Factory
- Sporting events: Rugby World Cup 2011, 20/20 Cricket, Auckland Blues, Lions Rugby Tour, NZ Breakers, FIFA under 20′s, Netball Fast 5, Roller Derby, Black Caps cricket, NRL Auckland Nines
- Large-scale local events: Glow at Vector Arena, Auckland Farmers’ Santa Parade, Taste of Auckland
- Community events: Grey Lynn Park Festival, Mission Bay Festival, Auckland Pride Parade, Titirangi Festival, Ponsonby Market Days, Rio in Remuera, Art in the Dark, Cuba Street Carnival, Brazilian Film Festival, various street parades
- Gigs in bars and clubs: Wildfire, Safari Lounge, 4:20, Galatos, Ipanema… and many more
We also regularly offer training courses and workshops in samba percussion.
“AKSamba got the crowd moving and grooving in no time.”
“…were a fantastic addition to our festival.”
“… they delivered everything we expected, and then some…”
“The workshop was the most fun I’ve had in ages!”
AKSamba performs at all sorts of events, from birthday parties, to outdoor festivals, to conference events…
Contact us to find out more!
We practice every Monday from 7.00pm–9.00pm at the Auckland Bowling Club, Grafton Mews (off Stanley Street) in central Auckland. Everyone is welcome to come and observe.
Drop us an email if you plan to turn up so that we know to expect you and can tell you if there are any time or venue changes.
You will also need to bring earplugs.